Well, the month of November has come upon us so quickly, I can hardly believe that it is here, where o where did our year go?!
As a tradition, I am going to try and blog one thing that I am thankful for each day, all through the month of November. I know that some of the things will be repetative, but I can't change the things I am grateful for.
Today, I am honestly grateful for my health. Last month, being that it was breast cancer awareness month, I decided I best go be checked. It had been weighing heavy on my mind before October, being that I am 41 and my mom is a breast cancer survivor, I try to be regular on my checkups...but I had not been, I skipped a year. I don't have health insurance so I used that as an excuse, but my thoughts and worries about it got more and more real, so I called my doctor and asked them if they'd work with me on the expense of the mammogram, well low and behold, in Utah County, they have a program for family's to take advantage of. Because we have a nice sized family, I was able to go to the County Health Department and have an exam. During my exam, they found a lump. This is not new for me, I have had fibroid cysts in the past, but the nurse doing the exam, said it felt harder and not like a fibroid so she wanted me to follow up with an ultrasound and mammogram, to which this lovely program provides vouchers for, so both were free to me. This last Tuesday, I went and they made sure there was a doctor to consult with me during the exams and found that I have a cluster of fibroids that made if feel different, so again I am happy to say I have a clean bill of health and am able to live my life to the fullest still with my family. I am so thankful for today's technology and for the knowledge of skilled doctors and nurses that we can find and detect such cancer in early stages. I urge anyone woman who may read this, to go and have a mammogram done. It doesn't take much time and it is so well worth the slight embarrassment. As I found there are many means of ways to fund the cost if you don't have the benefit of health insurance. For those of you who live in the Utah County area, hers is the link to the wonderful program that provided me with the ability to make sure I was still in good health. http://www.utahcountyonline.org/Dept2/Health/Nursing/Cancer.asp

No comments:
Post a Comment